Procedures and Documents required for J1 VISA Application

Go down

Procedures and Documents required for J1 VISA Application

Post  qianrui on Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:01 pm

The following information are abstracted from the US Embassy (Singapore), the links in the message are working all right, I've tested it.

Exchange Visitor Visa (J1)

Financial Resources
Participants in the exchange visitor program must have sufficient funds to cover all expenses, or funds must be provided by the sponsoring organization in the form of a scholarship or other stipend.

Scholastic Preparation
Exchange visitors must have sufficient scholastic preparation to participate in the designated program, including knowledge of the English language, or the exchange program must be designed to accommodate non-English speaking participants.

Residence Abroad (Non-immigrant Intent)
As with Student visas and most other types of non-immigrant visas, to qualify for Exchange Visitor visas applicants must demonstrate to the satisfaction of the Consular officer who conducts their interview that they have a residence outside the United States to which they intend to return after the end of their programs.

SEVIS
The program sponsor must report to the Department of State that you have been accepted to participate in a program there by entering your data into the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS).

REQUIRED DOCUMENTS AND RECOMMENDED SUPPLEMENTAL DOCUMENTS

• The Appointment Confirmation Letter (You will print this out when you schedule your appointment)
  • The S$160 application fee (S$150 as of Nov.18, 2007) by cashier's order made payable to "American Embassy, Singapore"
  • Your current passport
  • All of your old passports for the past ten years
  • An electronically completed, printed and signed DS-156 application form (EVAF) for each applicant. Please print all three pages of the form and bring it with you when you come for your interview.
  • One 5cm by 5cm photo on white background for each applicant, attached to the DS-156.
  • All male applicants aged 16-45 must also provide form DS-157
  • Proof of Income/Employment
  • Proof of finances (such as bank or investment account statements)
  • Sufficient cash (U.S. or Singapore currency only - no checks, credit cards or NETS) for any visa issuance fees, which vary by nationality and visa category. This fee will only be charged if your visa application is approved. Check here for the fees for your nationality and visa type.
  • SEVIS-compliant DS-2019 form for each family member, obtained from the program sponsor in the United States;
  • Passport valid for at least six months beyond the date of arrival in the United States;
  • Completed form DS-158, available here;
  • Exit permit (for male Singaporeans or PRs liable for National or Reserve Service);
  • A detailed written description of the objectives and content of the exchange program, including a specific training program if the position includes any on-the-job training.

Evidence of Financial Resources

All J-1 visa applicants must demonstrate that they have financial resources sufficient for their expenses in the United States or are earning a wage from the program which will cover their expenses.
    This evidence may include:
  • Exchange Program Stipends: Evidence from the program sponsor that they will pay you a stipend sufficient to cover your expenses in the U.S.
  • Personal savings: Bank books or monthly statements showing your current assets and recent transactions. Letters from your bank or your sponsor's bank are also acceptable, but the letters should cite the accounts maintained, current balances and average monthly balances over the past year. A letter simply stating that the bank believes that you have enough money will not be useful for visa-application purposes.
  • Sponsorship: Sponsors should provide evidence of their assets and income, including current bank statements, and income tax assessment notices for the last two years (Inland Revenue Authority Form 4020 for Singapore residents).

ABOUT SEVIS AND YOUR DS-2019 FORM
    SEVIS Fee for F, M, & J Nonimmigrant Students & Exchange Visitors
    The Department of Homeland Security collects a fee to cover the costs for the continued operation of the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP).

Who pays the fee?
    Those who wish to enter the United States either as a student or an exchange visitor with a Form I-20 or DS-2019 dated on or after September 1, 2004.

Participants of federally sponsored exchange visitor programs, which are designated by program codes beginning with G-1, G-2, or G-3 are not subject to this fee. Spouses and dependent children (F-2, M-2) of students or exchange visitors (J-2) do not pay this fee.

How much is the fee?

For exchange visitors (J-1) unless participating in: $100

How is the fee paid?

The fee CANNOT be paid at the Embassy. It must be paid before you come for your interview, as we cannot issue your visa until payment is confirmed.
    The fee can be paid in four ways:
  • Through the Internet at www.FMJfee.com by using a credit card and completing the online Form I-901 (Fee for Remittance for Certain F, M, and J Nonimmigrants); or
  • Through the mail by submitting a completed Form I-901 and a check or money order drawn on a US Bank and payable in US currency; or
  • By a third party such as a school or sponsor (in such a case, they should inform you that payment has been made on your behalf).
  • Through the Western Union Quick Pay service. Instructions for using the Western Union Quick Pay form can be seen on the Student and Exchange Visitor Program website at http://www.ice.gov/graphics/sevis/i901/wu_instr.htm

For more details about the SEVIS fee, click here.

SEVIS stands for the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System. It is a database of information about every Student (F-1 or M-1 visa) and Exchange Visitor (J-1 visa) to the United States. The information is input and updated not by the Embassy, but by the school you will attend or the exchange program sponsor.

If your are not entered in SEVIS, or if there is a discrepancy between your passport and the information in SEVIS, we will not be able to issue your visa until you have contacted the sponsor and confirmed that they have corrected the problem. The Embassy cannot contact the sponsor on your behalf.

How do you know whether your SEVIS entry is correct?

When you receive your DS-2019, check it carefully for errors. These are some of the more common ones we have found:
  • name misspelled;
  • family name and given name(s) reversed;
  • date of birth wrong (month and day reversed);
  • country of birth or nationality wrong.

If you find an error on the DS-2019, then your SEVIS entry is most likely also incorrect. You should contact your sponsor immediately, get the error corrected and have them express mail you a new DS-2019. In most cases, if the information on the paper DS-2019 is correct, the electronic SEVIS entry will also be correct.

HOW SOON CAN I ARRIVE IN THE UNITED STATES?
    If you are starting a new exchange program (one you have not been participating in for some time), you can arrive no earlier than 30 days before the start/report date as shown on the DS-2019 form. Please consider this date carefully when making travel plans to the United States. The 30-day limitation does not apply to exchange visitors returning to resume a program; they may enter the United States at any time.

HOW LONG MAY I STAY IN THE UNITED STATES? DO I HAVE TO LEAVE WHEN MY VISA EXPIRES?
    When you enter the United States on a J-1 visa, you will usually be admitted for the duration of your status as an Exchange Visitor—this is often abbreviated "D/S" in your passport. This means you may stay until the end-of-program date as shown on your DS-2019 form even if the J-1visa in your passport expires. If your visa has expired and you need to travel abroad, you will need to apply for a new visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate while you are abroad so that you can re-enter the United States and continue your program.
    After you complete the program shown on your DS-2019, you will have a 30-day grace period to travel or visit friends before you have to leave the United States.

MY FAMILY MEMBER PLANS TO ACCOMPANY OR JOIN ME WHILE I AM PARTICIPATING IN AN EXCHANGE PROGRAM IN THE U.S. IS HE OR SHE ELIGIBLE AND WHAT VISA DOES HE OR SHE NEED?

Only spouses and children of J1 exchange program visa holders are eligible for derivative (J2) visas. Parents and other family members are NOT eligible for J2 visas. They may visit a J1 holder for a temporary period of time if they apply for and receive a tourist visa.
    Spouses and children, whether accompanying or following to join a student, should submit a visa application with a recent photograph for each person. Spouses and children must present a copy of their marriage certificate or birth certificate, respectively. Dependents joining a exchange program participant already in the United States must produce the their own DS-2019.

WHERE CAN I GET MORE INFORMATION?

For information about non-immigrant visas, please see the non-immigrant visa section of the U.S. Department of State’s Consular affairs website. If you have a specific question about your case, please [email]e-mail[/email] the Singapore consular section.

qianrui
Admin

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2007-11-12

View user profile http://disneynyp.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down